Paul finishes up with our praying in Philippians 4:6-7. Then he says we are to set our minds upon the things that will bring us to be more like Christ.
Proverbs 23:7 says For as he thinks within himself, so he is.
What are you thinking about?
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8-9
- Whatever is true. God’s Word! “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. John 17:17…Philippians 2:16, 1 Peter 2:2
- Whatever is honorable. Things that are worthy and noble to think about. Does it have dignity and honor? Does it have honest value?
- Whatever is right. Is what you are thinking about right with God? Is it in harmony with God’s unchanging standards, as revealed in Scripture?
- Whatever is pure. Do you have clean thoughts? Is it morally and inwardly pure? 1 John 3:3 like Him, because one day we will be like Him!
- Whatever is lovely. How is your conduct toward others? Is it full of love, is it lovely in motive and actions towards others? Or is your mindset on vengeance, punishment, and bitterness towards others?
- Whatever is of good repute. Are we thinking about the good things we see in others? Or do you have thoughts about tearing them down? We are to take the high road and not think as the world does.
With the last two, Paul sums it all up…
- Any excellence. Anyone in your life with virtue? Who demonstrated an excellent life to be followed? Anyone with moral excellence? 2 Peter 1:3 Not perfection, but those who try to live a godly life…Is there anyone?
- Anything worthy of praise. God is worthy of our praise! What is the opposite of praise? Do you criticize people all the time? Or do you, admire people, commend them for their accomplishments. Is there someone in your life that is worthy of being praised and honored? Your spouse? Your Children? Your brother or sister in Christ? Is there anyone?
…dwell on these things.
The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9
These 8 things should fill the Christian’s thought-mind. What we think matters! So as we dwell on these things, think about what’s in your head?
Right thinking matters to a Christian! Right thinking is a direct result of reading the word of God.
Junk in our minds…Junk out as we live our lives… Who do we hang out with? What are we reading? What entertains us?
Romans 12:1-2…Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
When Paul says to dwell on these things, he means to think about these things with a view to doing them, allowing them to shape your character and conduct. This is not optional for a believer in Christ!