“Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” 2 Peter 3:18
When I speak of growth in grace, I only mean an increase in the degree, size, strength, vigor, and power — of the graces which the Holy Spirit plants in a believer’s heart. I hold that every one of those graces admits of growth, progress, and increase. I hold that repentance, faith, hope, love, humility, zeal, courage and the like — maybe . . .
- little — or great,
- strong — or weak,
- vigorous — or feeble,
and may vary greatly in the same person at different periods of his life.
When I speak of a man growing in grace, I mean simply that . . .
- his sense of sin is becoming deeper,
- his faith is becoming stronger,
- his hope is becoming brighter,
- his love is becoming more extensive,
- his spiritual-mindedness is becoming more marked,
- he feels more of the power of godliness in his own heart — and he manifests more of it in his life.
(J.C. Ryle, “Growth in Grace” 1879) Taken From Grace Gems
…but grow in the grace and knowledge
of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory, both now and to
the day of eternity. Amen.
*Emphasis Mine-Pictures Not Mine.